I love Design. And good Design doesn’t always mean you have to break the bank. That being said, not all “design” is created equal. As you will see in the items that we have gathered below, it is possible to find a much less expensive version of the look you are trying to achieve. So, what’s the difference? When should you go for the “splurge” and when should you hold back and “save”?
Splurge or “luxury” design pieces are usually custom created. They are available in an endless array of fabrics, finishes, and colors. They are very often handcrafted by artisans and made to stand the test of time. A high-end piece of furniture will be with you for a very long time; These are the heirloom pieces handed down from our grandparents. Upholstered pieces can be recovered and wood can be refinished but the integrity of the piece will remain. So, if you are settled in a place you plan to be in for a while and are financially able to make that occasional luxury purchase, then go for it and know that it will last. Be smart in your choices. Make your “splurge” be for the classics – timeless pieces that will never go out of style and that you will not get tired of seeing!
Look-a-like or “save” pieces are for a given period of time. Let’s face it, they are never going to be handed down to your children. But they do serve a purpose! If you live in an apartment and want some good design on the “cheap”, go for it! It will make a big impact in your decor. Look-a-likes are perfect if you are still experimenting with what you like and where you want to live, and they give a big bang for the buck! What if you just want to go for a trendy piece in a hot new color? Give the look-a-like a try and see if it works! If it does, then go for the “splurge”!
We’ve gathered some “Splurge” and “Save” below – now you can decide which works best for you! All product info is direct from the manufacturers’ websites to ensure an objective decision! Happy shopping!
Splurge: Restoration Hardware, $2035
- Crafted of distressed solid pine
- Accented with forged brass bin pulls
- Kiln-dried hardwood construction
- Wooden support system requiring mattress only
- Box-spring optional
- Deep double-panel drawers feature wood-on-wood glide
- Artisan crafted, hand made and hand finished, no two are exactly alike
Save: IKEA, $449
- Main parts are solid pine
- Drawers sides are solid pine and drawer bottom are fiberboard
- Mid-beam is galvanized steel
- Product requires assembly.
Splurge: Serena & Lily, $230
- Made with 300-thread-count 100% cotton. Fabric-covered button closure with interior ties to keep duvet in place.
Save: Overstock.com, $85.99
- Made with 150-thread-count 100% cotton. Button closure.
Splurge: Jonathan Adler, $295
- Made in Morocco by skilled artisans, this leather pouf is an essential for adding a pop of handcrafted color to your home.
- Each pouf is dyed to exact color specifications and hand-sewn for superior durability.
- Filled with dense cotton, this versatile piece is perfect as an ottoman or decorative accent.
Save: Art Fire, $96.00
- Elegant light grey Moroccan leather poufs made with first grade genuine goat leather, hand-dyed and hand-stitched and embroidered by skilled persons.
- Delivered unstuffed.
Splurge: Pottery Barn, $999
- Expertly crafted of kiln-dried mahogany
- Features two pullout drawers and six adjustable shelves
- Finished by hand in PB exclusive heritage espresso or antique white stain
Save: Target, $199.99
- Adjustable shelves
- Double doors
- Frame material is wood composite, surface material is wood veneer
- Hardware material is zinc, painted finish, 2 shelves, 2 doors
Splurge: Kathy Kuo Home, $1020
- Constructed of iron and elm
- Antique finish on iron frame
- Table top is made from elm door
- Sturdy and open base design
Save: JC Penney, $417.50
- Recycled elm wood construction
- Textured, natural finish
- Galvanized metal legs and joinery
- Intentionally imperfect surface makes each piece unique
Splurge: Currey & Company (Amazon.com), $1350
- Washed wood in a Distressed Truffle finish makes the Meacham Desk a noteworthy addition to home or office.
- The Shaker-inspired design is big enough to hold all your electronic accoutrements and provides ample storage with four drawers and four cubby holes.
Save: Safavieh (Kohl’s), $417.99
- This Safavieh Landon writing desk keeps you organized in contemporary style.
- Drawers provide ample storage space.
- Assembly required. Pine wood.
Now that you’ve seen some examples of “splurge” and “save”, I hope you’ll be better equipped with the info you need to do your own comparison shopping!