I look at lists of “predictions” every year – some are dead on, some totally off the mark… But they are an opportunity to look back on past trends and give pause to what could be. With that being said, here are my thoughts of what may be making a bigger statement in 2015!
1. Metallics – the last few years we’ve seen lots of matte finishes and more subdued fabrics. Plan on seeing metallics in everything. That little bit of shine will appear in fabrics and accessories as well.
2. Painted Finishes – we will continue to see the trend in painted finishes and glazes on furniture. This will continue on cabinetry as well. Mixing painted finishes in kitchens and bath will also become more apparent.
3. Softer Whites and Warmer Grays – white and gray will always be popular, but I think they will be softer and the tones will be warmer.
4. Outdoors Come Inside – Outdoor fabrics and furniture will come inside, blurring the lines of indoor and outdoor. Outdoor fabrics have come a long way, and they will be appearing in your living room as well as your patio. Outdoor chairs and tables will be multi-functional.
5. Florals – the days of Mario Buatta and rooms full of chintz florals will make a comeback, but with a fresher more refined look. Perhaps used on a chair or pillow, rather than wrapped around the room, but florals will be “back” in 2015.
6. Softer Lines – we have seen a lot of chevron and linear looks the past few years. I think the lines will be softer and less geometric.
7. “Greener” Products – a continued consciousness of materials and finishes will continue. Products made from recycled materials, furniture, fabrics, and finishes free of chemicals and non-organic dyes will see a continued rise in popularity.
8. What’s Old is New Again – look for a combined approach to design – that antique chair may be covered in a non-traditional fabric and the contemporary sofa may appear in a lush velvet. Traditional furnishes may be updated with a lacquer paint and glitzy hardware to bring it up to date in 2015.
9. Lighting LED – a continued trend away from incandescent lighting to LED in everything including chandeliers and pendants.
10. Ceilings as a 5th Wall – Ceilings don’t have to be white and they don’t have to be just paint anymore. We will see a more conscious effort to decorate ALL the walls in your house!
Well, there you have it. These are my predictions for 2015! I can’t wait til this time next year to see how well we did!! Happy 2015!!