I know it’s only March, but now is the time to start thinking about summer. And when you have a house on Cape Cod, that means overnight guests. I’m starting to spruce up my guest room and thought you may be interested in getting yours ready as well. Think about the last time you visited friends or family – what would you have loved to have seen in the room? Here are some of my “must haves”. I hope they work for you, too!
1. I know this seems like a given, but cozy sheets and an extra blanket are a treat. The guest room is not the place for the old worn out sheets that should have been tossed. You have guests in your home so make them feel special!
2. I love to sit up in bed and read before I go to sleep, so extra pillows are a necessity.
3. A basket with small size toiletries is a nice touch – and don’t forget a toothbrush! It’s the #1 most “forgotten” item in our house!!
4. Don’t forget to leave out a fresh set of soft towels. It saves you from rummaging through the linen closet at the last minute.
5. A bedside table with a light, and perhaps a book of short stories or a magazine is a nice addition. Do you live in an area that people visit to see the sites? In Chatham, the beach is the place to be, so a few pamphlets listing the local beaches is always nice. Maybe you live in the city? Leave a walking map of the local attractions!
6. I can’t go to bed without a glass of water at my bedside, so a carafe with a glass would make me feel right at home!
7. Everyone loves fresh flowers, but not everyone loves a strong fragrant bloom next to their bed. Think pretty but not so fragrant! Leave the roses and lilacs in the living room! Opt for the tulips or daisies, or something that’s beautiful with a subtle scent.
8. Make sure to leave a space in the closet for a few hang-up clothes and a suitcase rack!
Okay, the guest room is ready to go – now let’s get the weather to warm up and the snow to melt, or no one will be visiting me in Massachusetts!